Writing Notebook

Tuesday, May 01, 2001

Hi Everyone! I'm Nicole Cody, one of Heather's Musers. The Writing Notebook is a compost heap of ideas, and I have found that my writing always works like that. Ideas, experiences, impressions, smells, textures, emotions - they all go into a certain part of my brain. One which seems dark and inactive and full of useless and unrelated bits. But this is also the place where magic happens. Over time, and with no conscious effort from myself, these fractions of worth rot down and knit together into an amazing array of useful bits of writing fabric, and then like quilt pieces they arrange themselves into a fantastic order which is then miraculously transported to my conscious awareness. Nothing, it seems, is ever lost or wasted. As a writer I take great comfort from that!