Writing Notebook

Thursday, November 07, 2002

Grinding Ink
Keri Smith's words seem particularly relevant as Soul Food Patrons face the daily grind and get those words on to the page.

Grinding Ink -a writer's process…
I do not claim to be a great writer. Believe me I'm not trying to critical here about my ability. The truth is it is not my goal to be a great writer, or even a great illustrator for that matter. What is most important for me is to JUST WRITE (and paint), to get things out and feel good about that. It is hard enough to sit down with my notebook and pen and let the words flow out onto the page, when I know no one will read them. Just thinking about doing that gives me little pangs of nervous excitement, sometimes followed by a second thought like, "I'm too tired right now", or "I'll do it later". In fact it is hard enough for me to sit here right now in front of my computer and continue to type this. I feel instantly compelled to clean up a pile of papers sitting next to me on the floor. Yet I know that I need to be here because there is something in it that feels important, this urge is much bigger than me. And it is strange to be on a path and not know where you are going. I just know I need to be here, just sharing my thoughts.


NaNoWriMo participants will be inspired by Smith's perserverence. Read more.